9/11/15

Narration For Evaluating Reading Comprehension

When we first began homeschooling, we purchased a reading curriculum. The curriculum featured a reading passage and then pages and pages of workbook exercises to evaluate the comprehension of what was read. This worked okay with my oldest child, who loved to write, but the next students were bored to tears by this work.




Around this time, I discovered the works of Charlotte Mason. Especially The Charlotte Mason Companion, by Karen Andreola. This book helped me to see that reading comprehension could be checked by having the child tell back in their own words what was read. This became a favorite  method for checking reading comprehension as well as a wonderful way of working on speaking and listening skills.

                                    

In this short video, my daughter and I demonstrate a few examples of how we do narration.




If you would like to know more about narration, check out this post from Simply Charlotte Mason.

My son and I are enjoying this project of making videos about homeschooling, but we would love some feedback. If you have any suggestions for how we could improve, or have a question that you would love answered in a video, would you leave a comment below?

Thanks for reading and watching!



https://youtu.be/QKsRnC0FciE

4 comments:

  1. Beautiful, Jennifer! Do you have a recommendation for narration with three pre-writers?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would have them draw and paint pictures based on what you read. It could be a special keepsake. I would also, if developmentally appropriate, write down a couple sentences that they dictate to me about the passage and have them copy this on their paper. Alternatively, you could just write their narration so they can see the relation between spoken and written words, but not have them copy. The key is giving them enough of a challenge while not frustrating them.
      I hope this is helpful!

      Delete
  2. Wow! That was an awesome narration! I hope homeschooling in the philippines
    also offer curriculum like this.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. How exciting to be a part of the Phillipines homeschool movement.

      Delete