1/26/17

2017 Goals


Nendrum Monastic Site
For the last several years, I have posted a list of my yearly goals here. It isn't from some weird desire to be an exhibitionist about what I am planning, but more with the hope that the whole idea of setting goals, and even some of my specific goals, will spark ideas for you. I believe that God has good plans for us, and that, just as He did in the lives of so many people in the past, He wants to lead us into those good plans. 

bundled up


I haven't always started my goal setting with God in mind, but this year, I have as an overarching goal, a desire to start inviting God into even the most mundane of decisions. I so often get overburdened and overscheduled because I do things to be nice, or even to be a good Christian, and then end up frustrated, discouraged and grumbling, nothing good or Christian about that.


Old churches
So after praying, I have a theme of "metamorphosis". That's my word for the year, and I guess it's a fancy word for transformation and change. Many of my goals flow from that word, or have that idea at their core.

If you are confused about how I came about the categories, here is a post by a friend that explains this whole system. I love the idea of setting goals in several areas instead of just globbing together a bunch of goals. However, if these categories don't work for your family, make your own.


Ireland-beautiful and cold
Also, I realize that this post is late! Hopefully, most of you have already made your New Year's goals. We made ours while sitting around a cozy fire with my aunt and uncle in Ireland, but after that, we spent 10 days doing ministry in Tanzania, Africa, (you can read more about the trip and it's educational benefits in an upcoming Wild and Free bundle). Since arriving home, we have been trying to actually implement the plans that we made while we were away. It's been busy, but good, and connection with my family has been the priority. I am fully aware that the days of having all my children home are numbered, and I am enjoying them fully.


2017 Goals

Self Care
Daily Yoga/Pilates
Do a monthly fast or cleanse

Spiritual Life
Memorize one verse each week
Make listening to God a priority

Intellect/Emotions
Teach chore consistency to children
Make math understandable

Relationships
Special focus on relationship with middle children
Listen actively to children

Time Management
Family Bible by 8:15
Spend 1-3pm on writing projects

Nest Management
Work towards simplified garden/possible downsize
Teach better home care habits to children

Uniquely You
Finish memoir with Emelie
Go to a writers conference

Financial Stewardship
Publish Playful Pioneers
Learn Squarespace


You can read about past year's goal setting here. If you need resources for learning how to goal set, my course, Bountiful Homeschooling on a Budget, is full of ideas for creating a family vision and life plan. 



On Mt. Kilamanjaro




2 comments:

  1. You're amazing friend ❤ can't wait to see the Lord work in you and your family this year!

    ReplyDelete