6/25/12

Historical History Studies

I finally found my old Homeschool Blogger blog which I started while we were missionaries in Mexico. As I prepare to speak at the Valley Home Educator Conference on teaching history it was fun to read about one of our history studies.
History
October 6, 2007 in Uncategorized by By The Sea | 2 comments (edit)

We are studying Early American History this year, and in my quest to save money on curriculum, I did not buy one for history.  I have to admit, I had quite a collection of materials from my 10 years of homeschooling, and I was helped by my sweet friend, Jennifer Steward .

I have so far been reading The Light And The Glory For Children,  A Child's Story of America, (borrowed from Kate ) and Calico Bush, a story of Colonial Maine.  It has been great to read aloud more, do oral and written narration and use my collection of coloring books for coloring pages.  I had been using Story of The World, which I liked, except felt we missed a view of God’s providence in history.  It is important to be discerning, one view of God’s will and work, might not match with another one, (could Jamestown really be called a Christian settlement?) but I don’t want to leave God out of history.


We are having fun, the children drew pictures of Indian homes, built a log cabin out of sticks, and we had a Mayflower day where we ate pea soup and crackers for lunch aboard our boat(the living room rug).

Teaching my children history is one of my favorite reasons to homeschool.

No comments:

Post a Comment